1) Learned that Steve was quite paranoid about carrying several thousand dollars in cash on his body. He decided it was best not to tell people we were adopting as they might shake him down. Of course we were only at the St. Louis airport 10 minutes before I told the first people. Steve proceeded to stay 'under cover' and got himself caught in a tangle of lies with a Chinese gentleman who wanted to know why anyone would travel to Changsha as there is "nothing" there. I gotta love that my husband is a terrible liar.
2) Dramamine has become my best friend.
3) Sat across the aisle from a family with a 2.5 yr old precious Chinese girl. Now if Liam could take lessons on airplane etiquette for the 2 and under crowd we will be in great shape. This is probably also a good place to acknowledge that those well-traveled folks did not exactly explain just how terrible a 13 hour flight in coach can be. We are exploring career opportunities to make some extra cash so we can move up to business class on the way home!
4) The pollution is every bit as bad as we had been warned. We weren't even out of the airport when it was literally like someone smoking just blew a puff of smoke into your face. KT-you wouldn't survive for a minute! On the way to our hotel our wonderful guide named Elsie commented "look, you can actually see the sun". What we saw was nothing like the Carolina blue skies at Mimi and Pop pops but more like a faint yellow spot.
5) Getting to the hotel with our guide and driver-hmmm...just glad we made it. I kept thinking that maybe if you are the car that hits the other car (vs being hit) that the whiplash may not hurt as bad. Glad we didn't have to follow through on that experiment.
6) And we have officially seen little ones toddling along in their split bottom pants. Steve and I both agree that little Asian teeny tiny tushies are too cute!
There are some pictures but nothing too exciting just yet. Tomorrow we go to the Great Wall with 10 other families in our group.
Love from Beijing,
Paige and Steve
One of three suitcase just squeaking by the weight limit! Good job helping us pack Lauren.
The ultimate answer to "are we there yet?" The map shows on the tv screen in front of you and shows where you are, how far you've gone and how much longer until you are there.
Leaving the airport we got stuck in traffic that came to a complete stop for over an hour. Our guide said that has never happened to her. We replied that she has never traveled with us before; we slow everything down. Many people climbed out of their taxis and buses to walk to the airport. Quite the sight.




I am so glad you all made it safely! I am so thankful you are keeping us posted on this blog. You haven't left my thoughts since you left. I will continue praying for you!
ReplyDeleteMuch love!
Colleen
So glad to hear you are there and have one big step down! I am so excited for you, I can feel the lump in my throat AGAIN anticipating "your Monday," like we did just two months ago! I can't wait to hear more. Enjoy every minute of it.
ReplyDeleteJen
Mommy this is Lauren and I love reading every bit of this nothing is boring to me. I'm so glad you and daddy made it there safely and im sorry the plane was uncomfortable that wouldn't be fun. I'm glad the suitcases made the weight limit I really thought you guys would be the people having to throw things away at the airport. Once Jenna and Ryan get home we will e-mail you altogether Ryan has some exciting news to share. We miss you tons and really hope we can skype soon. Love u soooooo much mommy and daddy, Lauren
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh...I was not expecting a post so soon, but am SO happy to see this and to know that "all is well" with you and Steve! Awww, Paige, I just love the photo of you and Steve on the airplane...how we have waited for that moment! You guys look so happy and excited and Steve looks cool as a cucumber...I never would have known he was sweatin' out the cash underneath his clothes. :) I hope you had an amazing day touring and that you wake up to another fabulous day of Paige and Steve's Excellent Adventure!...just 2 more sleeps now China-time 'til Liam! With Much Love and Prayers Unending, Ame
ReplyDeletep.s. Lauren's message just about did me in. WHat a precious girl...just another sign that Liam is about to become part of a very special family! Love you!
May 14, 2010 4:19 PM
Your Steve and my Steve are cut from the same cloth. Funny travel description! I know this is your first day there, but is it obsessive that I've checked your blog several times already? Liam is well and ready for you. Blessings on your last days without him!
ReplyDeleteWe are so glad you made it safely and seem to be having a good time. Sorry, we just couldn't tell you how uncomfortable coach class is right before you left. You had enough to worry about. Absorb all you can about the culture, so you can teach your little boy when he grows up. Sally
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update. You are becoming experienced travelers. You really went coach??? Keep enjoying this once in a lifetime chance
ReplyDeleteSteve