ARMS OPEN WIDE

My whole life is yours
I give it all
Surrendered to your name
and forever I will pray
have your way
have your way

Anxiously awaiting Liam

Anxiously awaiting Liam
We can't wait to welcome home our son and brother.

Liam Xin

Liam Xin
Please welcome our newest addition Liam Xin.
I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I ask of him.
1Samuel 1:27

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Countdown Has Begun...

24 hours and counting as I am typing this… Life continues to be busy with our little Liam. In 10 days I give us pretty high marks in figuring out his likes and dislikes. Okay, the truth is that he doesn’t have many dislikes just yet. When we met Liam he was very complacent and I am sure he was shell shocked. He now has his various sounds and actions that let us know what he wants. Basically, he has 3 needs and I think he looks at us like we are crazy when we don’t get it right. “After all”, he’s thinking, “how simple can I make this for these people”. He either wants to eat, play or sleep. Really that is it. He wakes up each morning and rubs his eyes and smiles from ear to ear. I think there may be just a little relief to see that the same people are still here. He then says his variation of “more” as he reaches to the dresser where we keep his bottle. He drinks about 4 oz then squirms to get down on the floor and playtime begins. We have made a routine of skyping the kids each morning and turning the camera so they can watch him play. Skype has been amazing. The family has been able to see us each time but we have only been able to see them 2 or 3 times. Liam does seem to study the photo album we brought and I think he will recognize his siblings.

We did our group pictures yesterday. Hmmm, 10 kids (1 wasn’t there because she had a medical appointment) we should have anticipated the chaos. All was well as we took a few pictures of Liam alone but then we tried to line 10 babies up on the sofa. Most of the babies took to just sitting there. Poor Liam sucked in that thumb like a Hoover as more and more babies surrounded him. He held it together until Matthew next to him kept wiggling and as they went to scoot Matthew back Liam got bonked. We saw the lip come out and the tears well up. Most people have dealt with a fair amount of crying this week and left their kids there just a bit while crying. I had mentioned we can count on 2 hands the number of times Liam has cried. There was no way we were going to make this traumatizing for him so I scooped him up. He grabbed me tight and it was so sweet. I ended up sitting him on the back of the sofa and held him but we didn’t get another picture. Hopefully with like 1000 pictures taken a few have turned out well. We then took a Giant group photo which has people looking every which way. It is funnier to us than anything else.

Yesterday afternoon we went to the U.S. Consulate and took our oath. I had heard it was rather insignificant and so was surprised when tears welled up in my eyes. It starts off rather legalistic. We were in a room with 38 families’ total. The woman who runs the office welcomed us and acknowledged all the time and emotions this journey has taken us through. She was kind enough to have looked through the list to see how many first time parents were in the group and how many kids had birthdays in May. She also recognized a family who was here on their 4th adoption! She and our guide both shared that these children who had no one to call their own now have many roles; sons or daughters, grandchildren, brothers or sisters, cousins, and nieces or nephews They acknowledged that these children did not have much promise for a future but now the future is theirs. I am not sure if I am weepier than most but I thought that was beautiful. An American who was sitting behind us asked what province Liam was from. I told him Liam is a Hunan spicy boy. (Hunan is known through all of China for their spicy cuisine). Please feel free to refer to me a Hunan spicy mama once at home as I have come to enjoy it! Anyway, the guy said he asked because Liam doesn’t even look Chinese. Really, I am getting tired of hearing that. We traveled half way around the world for him!

The 3 of us ventured out for dinner again last night and went to a restaurant someone else in our group had suggested. I have to tell you that we are getting VERY good at charades. The most English we got was a “hello”. Fortunately there were pictures on the menu. Liam has taken to dumplings so that is what we were looking for. It was a great dinner. Kinda like we talk like no one can understand us, the Chinese look at us like we can’t see them. Not kidding, at one point there was 3 wait staff like 2-3 feet from our table just looking at us. I resisted the urge to tell them to back off but geez. They also think it is just fine to come and touch your baby. My mama bear took over then and I scooted him closer to us or turned him a little each time.

Well the time has come and this will be our last post from China! Today we have to ourselves. Tomorrow our first flight leaves at 9:50 am for Hong Kong then through Chicago to arrive St. Louis 23 hours later. We are flying United Airlines and our last flight from Chicago to St. Louis is UA8039 to arrive at 5:37pm. If anyone is interested in going to the airport, Lauren will be keeping track of our arrival.

I am sure the emotions will be all over the board today. We are both soooooo ready to be home but how bittersweet for Liam to say goodbye to his home. It may not have been the kind of home fit for such a precious little boy, or for anyone actually, but the sights and sounds and smells and everything about it must bring him a certain amount of comfort. Yesterday our guide asked him a question in Mandarin and he replied appropriately. It will be a little sad to see him lose his primary language. They suggest that he get a good grasp on his new life before we try to reintroduce Mandarin again. This trip has inspired me to learn Mandarin so maybe Liam and I can learn (re-learn) together.

This is a great time to thank all of you for providing so much love and support. One of our daily highlights was reading your comments and e-mails. Thank you for taking the time to follow our story as it unfolded and to spend time praying for our family. We have learned that God doesn’t call the equipped but instead equips those that he calls. I am so happy that we answered His call. He is proving Himself just as He promises by equipping us a little more each day. There were many moments in those early days that I wondered just what had we done. Those are not my proudest moments as a new mommy. My son deserves more is what I kept thinking. But each day I can feel Liam making his way further and deeper into my heart. This is a kind of love I have never felt before. It continues to be a little bit scary at times but right this moment my heart is swelling with pride when I think of our beautiful son, Liam.

Farewell from China.
Love,
Paige, Steve and Liam

Liam finishing studying the pictures of his jie jie and gege so he will be able to recognize them

This boy sure does love his omelettes

Playroom at the China Hotel where we stayed while in Guangzhou

"My mommy and daddy can't get over just how cute I am."


"Hey, you're a little close."

Trying to find comfort in that little thumb

"I can't take any more babies!"

The mom's (the dads were too smart to avoid a group picture)



One last very special and significant appointment

Our celebratory dinner; we've jumped through our last hoop

11 comments:

  1. Liam has gotten the very best, Miss Paige! I believe someday when Liam becomes a father he will be able to really grasp the magnitude of the love that the two of you have for him! You've gone through more for him, than most parents have had to go through for their children. Safe and peaceful journeys to you all. Welcome to your new family, little Liam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. I have to say, our experience at the Embassy wasn't nearly so personal nor touching. I think it's really cool that yours was.

    Blessings to you as finish this chapter and begin the story of the rest of your lives together.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paige & Family, I will miss your exceptionally well written stories each day. They have been a part of starting my morning, and I always feel blessed and optimistic for the rest of my day. Liam will now have the kind of life that every child deserves....to be loved unconditionally by his parents & extended family. As I was reading today's Upper Room devotional, I was especially spoken to by the writer's words. The Bible passage was Matthew 6:34 "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own." The Thought for the Day was "Rely on God and live expectantly." The closing prayer was "Gracious and loving God, give us the wisdom to act in faith even in the face of uncertainty. AMEN" So, as another mother and grandmother also, we love our children so deeply that worries and concerns fill our minds too often........we should take those worries and trust in God, knowing that when we listen to Him he will both prepare us to act or when to just wait for HIM to act.

    Safe travel back to St. Louis and give your mom and dad a big hug from us. We will miss them at Bill's 67th birthday party on June 1st.

    Love and God's Grace to all of you,

    Sandy Matthews

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...(((HUG)))...praying you home...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Paige, Steve and Liam!
    Kathy Schmittgens sent me your blog and I have enjoyed your beautiful journey. Kathy watches our son, Michael. Michael looks forward to meeting a new playmate on Rosemount Dr. They are just about the same age and I think they will have a fun time together. As a recent new mom I would walk to the ends of earth for my son and my husband. You and Steve have truly done that. Liam is so blessed to have you and your family. He will never have another worry in the world, he will always be loved unconditionally, food in his tummy and a warm bed to sleep in every night. You are truly amazing people of God. Thank you for letting us be apart of your journey and helping us all realize God’s acts of love and kindness. Many blessings to you and your new beginnings. Safe travels and God Bless you and your family. Hugs, Marybeth Risley
    P.S. My favorite picture is of Liam sleeping and sucking his thumb! Michael is a thumb sucker and I have a soft spot in my heart for sleeping babies that suck their thumbs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paige, I always did think you were a spicy lady! Your posts have brought tears to my eyes many mornings, but it seems today's the most. (Except of course the day you met Liam.)

    Liam I am sure is already realizing how lucky he is to have found you and your family to be his own! I am so excited for you all to be re-united tomorrow. I double checked Kyle's flights, and based on the flight number, it looks like you will be flying Trans States which is the sister company to Kyle's. It is another regional for United. Darn, Kyle was primmed and ready for you to be on his flight. :)

    Congratulations again! Travel safely - and good luck with Liam's long flight "home."

    All our best!
    Jen, Kyle, and Avery

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for letting us follow along from the U.S. as you welcomed your son into your family. Have a safe and smooth trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hunan spicy Momma,
    I loved your post today. Your last paragraph brings back so many memories and it brought tears to my eyes. I am so honored to call you friend!
    Have a safe trip. Praying for you all! What a wonderful homecoming it will be.
    I love you, my friend!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a busy week for me and one for you too! I am so glad that you are almost home but sad that I will not be able to meet you at the airport.
    I have to tell you it was so cute on Tuesday Tom and Ryan where having a water gun fight on the driveway and it was just the cutest thing. They were laughing so hard at each other....
    I missed my Liam pictures today....the good thing is that he is just next door so I really hope that I will be seeing alot of him this summer. i just can't wait to meet this little guy. I am sure he will melt all of our hearts.

    Be safe and enjoy your last couple of days. Hugs and kisses to everyone!! Your friend Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go neireigh on bothar lait! may the road rise up to meet you.
    Blessing always

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking of you right now. You should have landed in Chicago by now, which means Liam is a fellow US citizen! I hope you have a wonderful arrival in STL and a smooth transition home.

    From Lia to Liam: Please bring Liam home safely and thank you for his family come home safely. (She's five. Not exactly sure of her grammatical structure there. :))

    ReplyDelete