ARMS OPEN WIDE

My whole life is yours
I give it all
Surrendered to your name
and forever I will pray
have your way
have your way

Anxiously awaiting Liam

Anxiously awaiting Liam
We can't wait to welcome home our son and brother.

Liam Xin

Liam Xin
Please welcome our newest addition Liam Xin.
I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I ask of him.
1Samuel 1:27

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Humble Beginnings

First off kudos to the comment section. I am the person who always is in shock when people tell me they get up in the night time hours because they can't sleep. Well I am now one of those people. Each morning I wake up about 3:30 and can't get back to sleep. Unfortunately, to check the computer I have to wake Steve up so he can type some super duper secret password into his computer that involves about 8 levels of security. He has therefore, unvoluntarily (but quite lovingly) become part of my inability to sleep. We have enjoyed reading your posts immensely. Thank you for the updates on your own lives and your very sweet, but undeserved kind comments about us. Thank you is also in order to the Gallaghers for providing the early morning movie viewing.
Today, as it says in our blog title for the day, is about humble beginnings. We spent the day with our guide and driver returning to Liam's hometown. He lives in the province of Hunan which would be the equivalent to the state of Missouri. He was born in Loudi which would be like St. Louis. The adoptions take place in Changsha which would be like going to the state capitol of Jeff City. We drove about 2.5 hours to return to his roots. It is a very personal part of Liam's story and one we have opted not to tell on his behalf. It will be his, and his alone, to tell if he ever should choose. Steve and I have seen a lot today and can't really come up with the words to describe what we have seen. Yesterday Liam took a little longer nap than he had been. I said to Steve that he needed some extra rest to process all of these new experiences. I kinda feel the same way. I don't know if I will ever have the words to describe all we have witnessed.
On a lighter note, we stopped at several places throughout Loudi. It was so sweet as several children were giddy to come up to us and practice their English. Vicky said they begin learning English in the third grade. We took our guide and driver to lunch and enjoyed some really authentic Chinese food. The only thing harder than eating with chopsticks is trying to feed a 2 year old with chopsticks. On the way in we noticed a really cool Koi pond. On the way out, we watched with jaws dropped as we watched someone come out of the kitchen to scoop a bowl full of water OUT OF THE KOI POND. I am not sure our Pepto Bismol preventative measures will help us out of this one?!?
Melissa and Julie; we had been warned from another family not to put Liam on the hotel floor as it was pretty yucky. Are you kidding me? I had been waiting over 3 months to get him on the floor. On day one, we used the blanket that came with his crib and he stayed on it for the most part. A little more than 72 hours later, he has moved himself from where he started by the windows (in the Dolton) and is now over by the hall to the bathroom. He has amazed us both!
I have to admit that I am disppointed in myself that I am homesick so soon. Who am I kidding? I miss my kids when I am at work for the day, would prefer to hang out in the neighborhood to going out on the town and could eat peanut butter and jelly every day for lunch. Of course I am homesick. But yes, of course I know that I had to come here to bring Liam into our lives. I told Steve that next time we adopt, let's pick a country where they bring the kid's to us. Hmmmm, did I say next time??? Good night from Changsha.
Love, Paige, Steve and Liam

Little worried how the whole carseat thing is going to go

Vicky our guide and Zhou our driver

Sweet Chinese children practicing their English

Balloons are almost as funny as my daddy
My favorite fish oil, oops, I mean rice cookies

12 comments:

  1. So he's made it across the room... way to go Liam! Let me know what he thinks of that high gloss tile when he reaches it. LOL

    I'm glad you got to visit Loudi. That was a really hard day for Lia and she was just an infant. I'm sure you're right when you say Liam had to sleep a little extra to help him process. Still, it's so important for you to be able to share in his history and be able to tell him firsthand about his beginnings whenever you can.

    Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mommy i love you and cant wait to c u and liam! by the way i got 4 awards last night!! ps why is liam in his pjs while your out and touring??
    i love you~ Jenna and for daddy jbop

    ReplyDelete
  3. i meant to say u all threee of u guys sry!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm more than a little envious that you got to visit Loudi. Our son is from there too. What a draining (but amazing) day it must have been! When we were in China, we were the same way, talking about adopting the next time from a country where you don't need to travel. Then a week after being home, we both looked at each other and said, "So, when should we go back?" It's so funny how life works.
    Liam is such a cutie, and how wonderful that he is already doing so well! Thank you for this beautiful blog. I feel like we're reliving a little of our trip as we follow yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Jenna, FOUR awards! That's awesome!!! Congratulations! Your Mom and Dad and Liam are going to have SO MUCH to celebrate with you and Lauren and Ryan when they get home! I know they miss you so much and are so proud of each of you!

    Paige and Steve, what a day you had visiting the area of your son's birth and finding...I can only imagine the mixture of emotions. (((HUG))) And then to look at Liam and see the strides he has made already as your son, and to see how JOYFUL he is and how he is soaking up your love and attention...it must be so much for each of you to process. It's amazing and awe-inspiring to behold what God can do. I am so grateful that He set Liam in your family. For Liam and for you. A match made in heaven...the very best kind.

    With Love and Prayers...Always

    ReplyDelete
  6. GOOD MORNING GALBIERZ FAMILY....

    It a rainy day in STL so your not missing anything. It was great to hear that you went to Liams home town and I am quit sure you got some awesome pictures to show Liam when he gets older where his roots started. Humble begginnings was an excellent choice for this segment because we even have to remember back to where we came from sometimes to keep ourselves grounded and in check. It is all about who we are!

    I had a wonderful conversation with your mother in law yesterday while we were waiting for the bus to arrive home from Springfield,IL. She reminds me so much of my mother. The boys had a blast on their field trip and all went well. Congratualtions to Jenna on all your awards we are so proud of you!

    I'm glad you are enjoying the movie section of your trip...I can't imagine what it would be like to turn on the TV or watch the news.

    Liam is the so so so adorable. Again you have captured some unbelievable moments and as always he is smiling!! God Bless Liam and his smile.

    We miss you guys! Hugs and Kisses!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi mommy and Daddy and Liam to,
    We miss u sooo much and can't wait 4 u 2 b home. I want 2 give all of u a great big hug and kiss. We r a week down and 1 more 2 go! I love taking a chain off each day tht we made with Gaby it really reminds me tht this is happening. Hopefully we can talk 2 u tonight love u lots,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paige - one more week to go before you get to bring your amazing addition to the family, home! I am sure you are so excited to show him his beautiful room that you and the girls took so much time to prepare for him.

    I sent you an email with a link to a video. The particular song "Chances" reaches out and yanks my heart out every time that I hear it. I hope you find the same relevance that I do!

    I cant wait to talk to you when you are home! I just love that we have been able to share our experiences together!

    Thoughts and best wishes

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Liam, Paige and Steve,

    We are over the moon happy for the Galbierz family. We read your entries each morning. Sounds like everything is going like clock work for everyone.

    I want to read Ryan's DARE essay, perhaps it can be posted on the blog soon! Excellent work, Ryan. We are very proud of you.

    Jenna we would like more details on your awards. Are you going to post pictures on your FB account?

    Mimi and PopPop were with us last night. They arrived about 6. Mimi helped give Oskar a bath. PopPop was the guest reader. He read "The little Fur Family" by the same author as "Goodnight Moon". Oskar also loves the Truck book you guys lent to us. We'll have to buy a replacement for Liam. He has his favorite pictures.

    Tonight I am going to mow the lawn for the first time ever. Our new chore sharing plan ;-)

    Drink in every moment. Love the blog.

    All our love,

    Lisa, Jochen and Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello to Paige, Liam, and Steve,
    I look forward to checking your blog each day and each and every time Liam's little face makes me smile ear to ear. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I can appreciate your sense of homesickness. You are almost home and then you can be all together forever. I am going to give Lauren a call and check in with her. In fact I am on the phone with her right now!!! Sending you hugs and lots of love.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. We can't wait to meet the newest addition to the family. I'm so glad everything is going well.We're praying for your safe return!!! Give Liam a kiss for us!!! Todd and Amy
    PS tonight we are having pizza in case you were still wanting to know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pictures! He is so cute and looks so healthy and happy! Can't wait to meet him. Congratulations, Galbierz family!
    The Molina's :)

    ReplyDelete